Time flies.
It's almost a year from my graduation, and my Euro Trip, and I feel like I have hardly anything to show for my life - aside from a few Facebook albums and mementos, I'm still unemployed.
Why does employment have to define my existence? Why do I need a job?
It's all so unfair.
I just hate that everything comes down to this.
When I meet someone new, one of the first few sentences is some form of "what do you do?"/"what's your job?"
Why is this so important? When I answer "I'm an intern" which basically is a fancy way of saying "I'm unemployed" I get these sympathetic eyes .. and I don't need that. I don't want sympathy.
I just don't understand why a job or career or lack-thereof, in my case, has to define a person through and through?
It's just one page, or chapter, in their long biography.
And with my internship drawing closer and closer to an end, and with new "recent grads" to compete with I feel kind of screwed... should I have something by now? Should I settle?
It's not like I haven't been trying. But I'm picky. I don't just want any job. I want my job, my "perfect" job - I'm being selfish and spoiled, I know this. Believe me, I know this.
I just don't see the point in getting a job for job's sake. I don't want to settle.
I only want a job that I actually want to be at
....and that, is hard to come by.
I'm sorry for venting. It's just frustrating these days.
And EVERYONE brings it up, it's hard to escape my mind.
Anyway.
Currently ....
what I'm listening to:
Tyrone Wells "Sink or Swim"
Jason Derulo "Ridin Solo"
what I'm reading:
still getting through Crime and Punishment
I do a lot better with tangible books ... but if I wasn't worried about running my phone battery low, or the annoyance of reading off my small phone screen I would like a Kindle - iPad type device, storing all my books and future "to read" books.
I'm going to Little Rock this week, to celebrate my grandmother, Nina's, 90th Birthday. I'm so excited to go. I always feel comfortable, and safe, in LR, it's a reassuring feeling.
I'm also getting revved up for my big move from the Shawshack to Frenchie (which is literally just a few blocks away) .. and also White House Correspondents Weekend !
time flies .. and who knows where I'll be in a few months,
so here's my DC/East Coast to do list:
+ go to NYC
+ go to Philadelphia (a small tribute to my favorite show I think is in order)
+ visit Arlington Cemetery
+ visit as MANY (DC) museums as possible
... well there will be more I just need to research them, and whatnot.
Suggestions are welcomed!
I was in the same place when I graduated, I wanted to be this great success over night. The truth is that rarely happens.
ReplyDeleteI know people love to say "don't settle" but I think the truth is that it might be good to settle in order to get your foot in the door somewhere, make some connections and then move on if you find you aren't happy. Afterall, it's always easier to find a job when you have a job.