Sunday, March 7, 2010

burning man project

This may be the first of many posts referring to The Burning Man Project

I just found out about this on Friday, my friend Emily told me about it and I'm sold.
After learning about Bu
rning Man, I formed a quick Bucket List, and attending Burning Man is now officially on it, along with Learn another language, Live in another country, Go skydiving, .... you get the idea. so far it's kind of a work-in-progress list, but I think that's the whole idea of it anyway.

Back to Burning Man.

Has anyone else heard of this before???

Now I feel like it is my destiny to go because in the past 48 hours I've watched two John Krasinski things, The Office - the new baby episode on Hulu - and today my roommate Jen and I watched Away We Go. In The Office John, or "Jim" mentions Burning Man, and in Away We Go his character, Burt is told he looks like someone who attended Burning Man '97.

Isn't that crazy? It's a sign, that I should go.

I know I'm bouncing al
l over the place and not doing any job on describing Burning Man
Mainly because I don't think I can even explain it well, and do it justice.
From what I've been told and what I've read about it, I think the only way to fully understood it is by experiencing it first-hand.






check out images here

....you bring everything that you need to survive for a week (or shorter if you want) in the Nevada desert of Black Rock City- food, water, shelter - and bring a bike to get around the Playa (campsite), and bring other nick-nacks because Burning Man is a place of sharing and free exchange within a gift economy, you can't buy or sell anything, and there's art all around and just a lot of creativity and self-expression

I know it may seem like a big rip-off joke, and too far-fetched....
But I think that the experience would be sort of incredible.

And now it's on my Bucket List so I'll have to go eventually.
No time like the present.

4 comments:

  1. I've never been, but I think I heard it mentioned on an episode of Reno911 once. Seems like a place where there will be a lot of pot and hallucinogens. I just came across your blog and I'm looking forward to reading more. By the way...skydiving is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.hughes... i want to go with you lol

    ps i feel like our bucket lists have a lot of the same things

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll go with you.. but that's just because i assume there will be plenty of guys with beards and flannel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...oh yes, there will be plenty of beards and flannel, and costumes i've been told. actually i heard that clothing is optional so there you go. but ok steph and ksloss, save your money, and save the date we are going!!

    OG - read away, thanks!

    ReplyDelete