Tuesday, February 16, 2010

laissez les bon temps roule

which is French for "Let the good times roll"
is a slogan of New Orleans and the basis of the Mardi Gras celebrations (fun fact).

I love Mardi Gras
("Fat Tuesday")
It is my favorite holiday - p
robably because it is the most under-appreciated holiday everywhere except New Orleans and College Bars....I bet you know why my friends....

I always loved MG though, probably because it was in February (a underprivileged month amongst all the rest), it sometimes landed on my Birthday (the 24 - a week from tomorrow ... hint hint), and I got to have King Cake (aahh....true bliss).

Gather around children, here's a little history lesson brough
t to you by Auntie Allison:

In Louisiana, Epiphany is the beginning of the Carnival season. The Epiphany, usually on January 6, refers to the Christian holiday celebrating the visit of the 3 wise men to the infant Mr. J. Christ. During this Carnival season, it is customary to bake King Cakes. The one who finds the doll (the [usually pink] plastic baby Jesus) must provide the
next king cake.
==> over the years the Hughes household has acquired all different size, gender, & race for the JC baby (but flesh pink is most popular)==>
These celebrations begin on or after the Epiphany and end on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. This "Fat Tuesday" refers to the last day of eating richer, fatty (yummy) foods before the ritual of fasting for the Lent season starting the next day.






doesn't she just look like a nice lady who would love to give you that cake?
gosh the picture does not do the cake justice.


Just thinking of King Cakes is making my mouth water...seriously.
I mean it is basically a large plain coffee cake (which is my favorite anyway) -- but with lots of sugar and it's just perfect.
And I'll just come out and say it, I become a Grade A Bitch when it comes to protecting sharing MY King Cake. I'm like a mother lion looking after my young. No ONE touches a crumb, or hair - to stick with the analogy, without my permission.

because of this holiday my mother taught me to always yell and flaunt myself at the people on the floats at parades (especially if they are giving stuff away): "Hey mister! Throw me something!!" ...
she did not suggest nudity but then again, when I think of it, she didn't discourage it either.

It's a universal truth that a girl will do crazy things for some free beads.

happy tuesday


1 comment:

  1. i may have to buy a king cake and eat it without you... i wonder if your mom would mail me one. lol

    ReplyDelete