Monday, February 15, 2010

weekend at the shawshank

Valentine's Day was yesterday. barf. Just kidding.

I was very happy to spend the day with Kira (who is my first friend to visit me in DC so she gets brownie points BUT the fact that she does NOT follow my blog still has her in the negatives....). Yesterday we spent the morning at Eastern Market - a fun outdoor food & craft market that's open every weekend, weather permitting - I'll take whoever visits me next there. Afterward, on this holiest of romantic days, Kira and I skipped to the Holocaust Museum - it was a very cool museum! (and I can say that because I'm Jewish and I know my Jewish museums).
However reminded me of Prof. Holstein (and Jack [my love] - Holocaust and the Bible TA - and I pondered: where is Jack now? who is his valentine today? does he think of me? etc....)
Then we traveled, across the street to the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. We saw Julia Child's kitchen, Laura Bush's 2nd inaugural dress, AND a exhibit on the Greensboro Student-Sit In which I found most interesting.
We met up with one of Kira's friends from Dayton - Nina - and went to dinner in Georgetown at this place called Papa Razzi (clever huh? ... I kept waiting for them to play Lady Gaga throughout the restaurant, they never did). But dang, it was pricey!! I was like WTF - I have no salary, can I clean dishes after I scarf down my food in order to pay for it? No need to worry, I sucked it up like the champion that I am and found the cheapest food and drink on the menu.


...Kira arrived Friday and we went out for drinks. Had a few too many Tequila Shots, thanks to a friendly gentleman with a beard named Jack and his friends Sean and ....(someone else who is easily forgettable)..... shoot, I just remembered I told Sean (who has a girlfriend and was not hot) I would email him because his friend lives in Chicago -- yelp, there's his name and email address in my phone, that's kind of creepy. Is it too late, and weird, to send him an email now? I don't know what this person would want from me? I vaguely recall Sean imlpying work/business connections. Which, I don't have, and if I did, I wouldn't waste them on a dude I don't even know.Otherwise for the six months I was home I would have had a job, not an unpaid internship. Duh.

....on Saturday we went to the National Gallery of Art - only for about an hour though because we were recovering from Friday night's shenanigans. I actually do not think I felt better until Sunday. However in the down time, we seem to be fine enough to shop and spend money (that I don't make or have) on clothes ---I reasoned that they were early birthday presents to myself -- gosh how much more conceited can I be?

But today is President's Day (no work!) and tomorrow is Mardi Gras (my favorite holiday ever!!! -- and color coordinating mardi gras took me an extra minute so I hope everyone appreciates it)

I'm already preparing for the blog tomorrow. yay!!
plus it's starting to snow again - we're suppose to get 4-8 inches. Maybe another snow day tomorrow...?

Oh, so I need to explain my title!
In DC I live in the Shaw-Howard University neighborhood.
And as I've mentioned before, my street is not the greatest. My "friends" outside are drugged out and drunk. But I mind my own business and well, they do whatever. Thus I have dubbed my apartment the Shawshank. However, it must be noted that there is really not anything redeeming about my apartment - except my room.

till tomorrow: Fat Tuesday and all it's glory. Wear purple, gold or green and party party party!!


4 comments:

  1. You should add some pictures to you blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Some pics of the druggies and your awesome room would help me visualize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel so lame for commenting after everyone else... boo :(
    and maybe jack broke up with his gf and moved to DC and you will run into him, in a nonstalker way.
    (oh, "allison, right?")

    ReplyDelete