Between 10am today (Friday February 5) and 10pm tomorrow (Saturday February 6) DC and the Mid-Atlantic Region is expected a major snow invasion. Everyone is freaking out. Because of this freak-out I got to leave work early today (I was in the office for less than two hours - and barely did any real work)!
The Metro was saying over the loud-speaker that if there is more than a foot a snow or something it stops running in certain parts of the city when it's above ground. lucky for me everywhere I travel on the metro is underground. But still, I'm thinking seriously? you're going to shut down public metro transportation therefore enforcing more people to drive, take the bus and be on the road in this "dangerous" weather. Smart thinking DC.
Not to mention it's been snowing since 10am and nothing is sticking to the ground.
But I went to Safeway (a grocery store) when I left work because I'm low on some essentials like bread, turkey for sandwiches, and cookies. The lines were insane!! It was so crowded. And at 11am! I was again thinking, why aren't you people at work? It seems like everyone either left early or took the day off in preparation for the massive snowfall. But people were shopping like it was the Apocalypse.
I mean DC has seen snow before. I don't know why people are spazzing out. My roommate Jen told me when I got home that she heard that some grocery stores ran out of essential foods like Milk, Bread, Bottled Water. Bottled water!? really?
This isn't Y2K DC. Calm it down.
I've had two highlights of my day thus far.
The first getting approving nods from co-workers when they saw me trek in to the office in my heavy duty Ugg boots -- my boots are resilient in winter -thanks to Iowa City's weathery conditions.
I know they are just jealous.
Because for some reason DC people do not invest in winter clothing which brings me to my second highlight of my day getting compliments (and some snarled with jealousy) on my Puffy Winter North Face Coat. The only jacket DC locals have is a flimsy pea-coat which is suitable for casual winter like in November and March when it's being a tease - not February winter. These people are amateurs.
I think everyone should spend some time in their life living in the Midwest during the Winter and Summer seasons to get the real polar effect of weather conditions that just are not the same anywhere else.
AND here I thought Snow Days didn't exist after college.... :)
my favorite part of the "snow storm" freak-out is that you are probably only going to be stuck in your house for a day, two days max. (well unless you live in the middle of no where.. but i do not think that is the case)
ReplyDeletethere is no reason to stock up on "essential" foods unless you haven't gone grocery shopping in a month.
stupid snow people.