Tuesday, October 20, 2009

beyond boredom

I'm at "work" with nothing to do (literally)

so I'm going to share a few of my favorite literary quotes and I recommend you read these books/poems/essays if you haven't already, or even reread them if you have the chance:


"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank (Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl)

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." -Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)

"Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination." -Jhumpa Lahiri (Interpreter of Maladies)

"You do not have to be good.

You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the deep trees, the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagaination, call to you like wild geese, harsh and exciting - over and over announcing your place in the family of things."
-Mary Oliver ("Wild Geese")

"Never love a wild thing... you can't give your heart to a wild thing: the more you do, the stronger they get. Until they're strong enough to run into the woods. Or fly into a tree. Then a taller tree. Then the sky. That's how you'll end up... If you let yourself love a wild thing. You'll end up looking at the sky." -Truman Capote (Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories)


"Where are we?" she asked.
"We is in Dream Country," the BFG said. "This is where all dreams is beginning."
-Roald Dahl (The BFG)

"Your silence will not protect you." -Audre Lorde ("The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action")

"Each person is made of five different elements, she told me. Too much fire and you had a bad temper. That was like my father, whom my mother always critized for his cigarette habit and whol always shouted back that she should feel guily that he didn't let my mother speak her mind. Too little wood and and you bent too quickly to listen to other people's ideas, unable to stand on your own. This was like my Auntie An-mei. Too much water and you flowed in too many different directions. Like myself." -Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club)

"Our individuality is all, all, that we have. There are those who barter it for security, those who repress it for what they believe is the betterment of the whole society, but blessed in the twinkle of the morning star is the one who nurtures it and rides it in, in grace and love and wit, from peculiar station to peculiar station along life's bittersweet route." - Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume)

AND for you avid book lovers out there, like myself, I suggest you join Goodreads !!

enjoy.

This made me want to get a cozy blanket, hot chocolate, and read .....

No comments:

Post a Comment